     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Chitarra atiorbata/Guitarre theorbee
     To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 20 July, 2009, 5:46 PM

   But there have always been these odd instruments - like the "two
   guitars in
   one" which Stephen Barber actually made and I had a go on.  He was also
   threatening to make a "diphone".
   If you go round museums you will see all manner of oddities but they
   usually
   have a short shelf life because they really serve no useful purpose.
   You can't really argue on that basis that most players were disatisfied
   with
   the 5-course guitar to the extent that they wanted an instrument with
   extended bass strings.   If they were - as I have already said - the
   sensible cost effective option was to put on a 6th or even a 7th course
   -
   like the lute.   Or they could have taken up the theorbo or whatever.
   Monica