Yes, it cld have been pitched higher but then, following the usual
   'rule' that one tunes the highest pitched string as reasonably high as
   it will go (in fact to help the bass register) ie keep the stress on
   the highest string the same as on an ordinary guitar,  all this would
   do would be to require a smaller instrument overall ie including basses
   where the problem of low stress leading to inharmonicity etc wld remain
   the same   -- if you see what I mean.

   But I am pretty sure that, as you have also said, that we need to
   regard the Cat as basically an exotic solo instrument rather than a BC
   instrument. Tho' regarding the Gth - I think I recall a French 18thC
   painting/engraving showing a female singer accompanying herself on one
   - possibly quite good for the usual high female voice (esp if basses at
   the higher octave) rather than the sombre theorbo..... I'll try and
   find it - perhaps it was a Watteau sketch.
    LATER

   Had a look - can't find it. But I did see the various depictions of
   lute shaped instruments with extended basses but only 5 courses on the
   fingerboard eg Painting by Lancret (early 18thc) in the Louvre and
   others.. Bob Spencer suggested (Early Music I think - years ago) that
   these may have been, in fact, lute shaped guitars theorbe (based on a
   17thC italian painting!). I don't think anything was  settled about the
   tuning of the basses tho - and thus we come full circle.