Yes - Donald does say that it is late - presumably 18th century.

The illustration Alexander has mentioned is beautiful but obviously a different instrument from either Gallot or Granata.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> To: "Vihuela Dmth" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:08 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] PS to ...Re: Guitarre theorbee

  PS to my last: the significance of this depiction hinges around how
  'late' it is. By the end of the 18thC there was the fashion for
  classically inspired guitars with two necks (after Kithara) and theorbo
  like extensions; they used overwound basses (as contemporary
  guitars). I see these as new inventions rather than development of the
  17thC Gth/Gat and thus telling us nothing about the stringing of the
  earlier instruments.