To: "Jorge Torres" <torr...@lafayette.edu>
Cc: "Vihuela" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:23 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: 17th century manuscript

Jorge,

I have been curious about the volume ( US-LAuc MS f. C. 697. M. 4)  since
reading about it in Tyler's "The Guitar and Its Music" (see pp.  122-123
[2007 edition], a brief excerpt of a piece by Barbara Strozzi  in modern
edition is also shown).

Tyler writes that this "remarkable" manuscript bears the signature of
Pietro Reggio and gives a brief describes the content as an anthology  of
Italian vocal music with arias and cantatas by Carissimi, Cavalli,  Rossi,
Strozzi and Lucio. 18 of the 29 items have a vocal line,  figured bass,
and a part in French tab for guitar. There is also a  portion of the
manuscript in a different hand of French dance tunes  and songs (it is not
clear whether this section is for guitar or not).

I would be very interested to see more from this manuscript.

-- R