     From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Guitarre theorbee
     To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Thursday, 27 August, 2009, 10:02 PM

   Monica Hall wrote:
   >    Just to let you all know that the final version of my thoughts on
   the
   >    subject of the Guitarre theorbee is now on my own web page -
   >

   >    [1]www.monicahall.co.uk
   >

   >    It includes a staff notation transcription of all twelve pieces
   from
   >    the Gallot manuscript.
   >

   >    Monica
   >
   >    --

   Quite an intricate argument! So, for the Gallot pieces, the bass line
   is either implausibly low or - if an octave higher - then  just one
   extra course tuned to G would give the same range as seven (!) extra
   basses? Sorry, if I've misunderstood.
   It might be slightly interesting to note that the normal 7-string
   Russian guitar (of the 19th century) had a version with extra basses
   but was tuned so that the lowest string was only one tone lower than
   the ordinary 7-string version. The ordinary Russian guitar has the
   seventh string at D, the Russian 10-string guitar has the lowest note
   at C. Yet, quite often, music for the 7-string guitar directs the
   player to lower the seventh string to C. So the ordinary, 7-string
   Russian guitar covers the same range as the 10-string version. But the
   extra basses are not primarily functioning to extend the range of bass
   notes but perhaps for sonority or to make some bass notes easier to
   play. Maybe something similar is intended for the Gallot instrument?
   Was it mentioned in the recent discussion that at least one maker is
   offering a guitar with extra basses - for playing the music of
   Granata...and...Gallot?
   Stuart