Monica Hall wrote:
   Don't know whether the rest of you have already noticed this but Carpe
   Diem have recently released a beautiful recording of music from
   Corbetta's 1671 Guitarre royale played by Rosario Conte - the best
   recording available now Antonio Ligios recording is no longer
   available.

For some reason the first suite reminds me of a very old recording of Schaffer's on Baroque lute of a suite in G minor by Bittner. Someone said the recording is 'close' and you can hear fingers on strings - other than playing the notes! - and indeed the man himself breathing. (My wife thinks he looks like the actor, Patrick Stewart).

He surely gets a very nice sound from the guitar and his brushing of chords is very delicate (some players are rather raspy) and lots of ornaments. The Prelude of this first suite is quite slow with familiar little phrases but Rosario gives his all. The Allemande has a little percussive sound at the beginning which happens at the repeat? Seems very well played to me. The Courante sounds fine to me too but I agree with others that the Sarabande is too slow. The Baroque lute can be played super slow (as it were) but I'm not sure this very slow tempo suits the guitar, or even this particular sarabande. A fine gigue (which is reminiscent of something else) and a swingless Passacaille to end.

Stuart

I am glad you seem to like it. Actually I have Claire Antonini's recording of French lute music and she plays a sarabande by Dufaut - first half of the 17th C very slowly. I think it is more a question of the repertoire than the date.

So far no one has commented on the fact that he plays the Corbetta with octave stringing on the third course as well as the fourth (but not the fifth). Perhaps none of you had noticed but it is obvious right from the start of the G minor prelude if you are familiar with it. It's something which I play myself. The De Visee is with octave stringing just on the fourth course.

I decided to forgive him that lapse of good taste.

He looks a bit like one of my nephews actually. Having no hair seems fashionable these days and if you watch him on Youtube he seems to have grown some since then.

I've just had to review it for Lute News. Pity I didn't ask you all for your views first!

MOnica