Having just attended classes on the Baroque Guitar at La Semana de
   Musica Antigua in Gijon, Spain...
   Eduardo Eguez pointed out that the Sanz manuscript is a book of
   ensenyanza...  that is, you're learning the pieces.  Most certainly,
   any player above the beginner level would have taken these as
   suggestions, and would have improvised on these themes.  That was how I
   took Eduardo's message on that front, anyway.  Yes, there's music that
   is composed to the fullest extent, but Sanz (at least) seems to have
   made illustrations more so than compositions, per se.  It may be that
   most of the existing guitar works are intended to be taken with a
   similar grain of salt?  (Still thinking about that...)
   I have noticed a relatively recent movement in terms of Baroque guitar
   performance that tends toward improvisation.  Xavier Diaz Latorre does
   this wonderfully, I think.
   In the same festival I attended a series of classes on disminuacion and
   ornamentacion.  Again, the idea was that melodic lines were meant to
   include the addition of passing phrases from one note to another,
   and/or ornamentation -- all at the discretion of the performer.  In a
   word, improvisation.  And again, I notice that players are achieving
   this today.  Interestingly, we had another set of classes that covered
   a flame war between Monteverdi and Artusi, where Artusi complained that
   Monteverti's dissonances would be fine in the context of improvisation,
   but a serious composition should not have such things.  Then back to
   the improvisation class where we saw an example of Monteverdi writing a
   series of disminuaciones and ornamentaciones in a singer's part -- to
   be performed exactly as written!  Ostensibly, they were to "sound"
   improvised???
   And of course, there's continuo, which is essentially structured
   improvisation.
   I think the bottom line is, there were lots of cases where
   improvisation was appropriate, and lots where it wasn't.  In other
   words, um...  er...  Well, you know...
   cud