*From:* Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
*To:* Eugene C. Braig IV <brai...@osu.edu>
*Cc:* List LUTELIST <l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
*Sent:* Fri, July 30, 2010 2:03:31 PM
*Subject:* [VIHUELA] Re: Four c. guitar

Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:
> Yes, I agree with all, especially regarding elaborating on brief dance
> melodies or chord progressions. It's hard to guess what improvisation on > guitar might have sounded like in the renaissance or baroque era. It's when
> there is an abrupt change of style leaning heavily on new-agey-sounding
> suspensions, etc. that such improvisations can be distracting.
>
> Best,
> Eugene
>

> I hope Massimo won't mind me including an example. Overall, he plays very beautifully and he adds strums, which, of course, are not in the original but which sound really appropriate and musical. And he uses some strange inegale at times too, which maybe what some people did or how he, as a musician, hears the music.

(And in general, no doubt, all sorts of improvisation was used all over the place)

What bothers me are these rather fay little vamps which he uses in a number of the dances. Here is an example: many people will know this little Branle de Champaigne. Ex1 is the opening - four bars of the little vamp figure and then the actual music. At the end of the Branle the vamp figure returns as a sort of interlude into a repeat (Ex2). It's a very attractive little dance and it's very short and the vamp makes it into something bigger. But it seems, to me anyway, really quite out of character. Surely an improvised second run through (or a written out 'plus diminueƩ') would surely be better. Or play a set of dances. Or just play it twice.

opening (Ex1)

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/ex1.mp3

middle Ex2)

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/ex2.mp3