Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 8:06 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Foscarini on Radio 3

   Dear Monica,

  I very much agree about Kozena's singing: there's a fashion for well
  known sopranos to try their hand at small scale 'early music' but few
  seem to be able to make the transition succesfully (somewhat like
  similar rather wincing attempts at Broadway musicals).

  In addition to problems evident in her rendition of 'Si dolce
  tormento', what I found particularly disturbing was a frequent
  inability to get the pitch quite right - whether this was because she
  was trying to control her (pitch) vibrato or because she was unused to
  being accompanied by a relatively small band (with relatively soft
  instruments - bear in mind we're not hearing the performance but the
  performance tweaked by sound engineers so don't really know what the
  actual balance was). Perhaps she's happier with orchestral
  accompaniment - I understand her Handel and Gluck opera roles have gone
  down well in the past.

  I ought to say this doesn't just apply to Kozena: I recently heard
  Blow's Venus and Adonis with Venus sung by the operatic soprano
  Rosemary Joshua which had similar pitching problems - not just me,
  acquintances also remarked on it. Presumably producers judge that the
  fame of the name will ensure recording sales.....

  PS I also agree about the kitchen sink - but again I largely blame the
  producers and sound engineers who I suspect encourage bands in this
  manner of delivery, thinking it will be more 'exciting' and the novelty
  will thus generate more listening/sales.