--- En date de : Mar 31.8.10, Martyn Hodgson
   <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> a ecrit :

     De: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Objet: [VIHUELA] Re: Guitar stringing was Re: Bartolotti Videos
     performed by Lex Eisenhardt
     A: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Lute List"
     <l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Martin Shepherd" <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>,
     "jean-michel Catherinot" <jeanmichel.catheri...@yahoo.com>
     Date: Mardi 31 aout 2010, 14h51

      Dear Jean-michel,
      Put a colon after 'octaves' as  '.......strung in octaves: outside
      Italy........' - I think you'll see what I meant....   I didn't
   think
      the meaning wasn't obvious but I'm sorry if you were momentarily
      misled. As you'll see I do, of course, allow the earlier Italian
   lute
      in octave tuning.
      But, interestingly and to extend this thread a little, for the later
      16th century Italian repertoire do we really know how the lute was
      expected to be strung?  I'm not sure that octaves on 4th and 5th as
      well as the 6th (and lower) courses were still general by, say the
      1570s. Do you? Certainly the 17th century lute doesn't generally
   seem
      to have had octaves on the 4th and 5th
   Which sources or which evidences say that? In my opinion, Laurencini,
   reported by Besard, would have had at least octaves on 6 and 5. That's
   a very good question to make clear: I tried some time ago Molinaro with
   octave stringing, and was not very much convinced, but  who knows?
   Gabrieli says he is against octave stringing...so octave stringing
   exists. In fact, I've the feeling that stringing depends on string
   length, but with no historical proof. The most problematic is indeed
   period between 1570 and 1620.
   (people like Piccinnini, Melli
      and Santino Garsi), so when did the change take place?  [Martin,
   have
      you done anything on this?]
      MH
      --- On Tue, 31/8/10, jean-michel Catherinot