Yes, Alexander Dean's dissertation is a very good read. You can download it here: https://urresearch.rochester.edu/institutionalPublicationPublicView.action;jsessionid=FEA663FAC81002C4A93F225435EB74D8?institutionalItemVersionId=10524

As I understand it, certain chords (dimished 7th, for instance) cannot be produced within the frame of alfabeto. These chords were replaced by alfabeto chords of another degree (ii - I instead of the vii dim -I, or the L chord instead of a E flat major, sorry for being so technical). Thus, playing together with an instrumentalist who performs literally from the bass this would lead to harmonic clashes. Dean goes so far to say that these clashes maybe were sought to get a richer pre-cadential tension. I think we can't tell. Perhaps they were just alternatives. You'll find these at p.240.

The point about triadic harmony is that it includes only the basic notes. But you can add to this e.g. adding 7ths to a chord does not alter its basic notes. And you can use a basic triad to accompany a 7th in the bass.

I'm quite sure I said that for better understanding we should we should look at the _early_ stage (so, not at Valdambrini or Corbetta). Of course you can add whatever you like. The question is, however, who did what. And when. The basis of early alfabeto, as it has come to us in songs and dances from >1600 - 1620, is predominantly very stereotype. This is to say that [probably] alfabeto and cifras were [at least] originally used to give a hand for remembering the chords to your tune. This was most likely also its function in the printed villanelle repertoire from Italy. Feel free to speculate about fantastic harmonic experiments, but it would be helpful to know the sources. We should indeed use our imagination, but how far should that go? I may bring to mind my 'dissonance' article (also in The Lute 47) in which I give the example of the manuscript of Pedruil (c.1614), with all kinds of extra notes added.

The fact that Sanz doesn't explicitly describe everything doesn't mean that he intended it to be done in the simplest possible way. If you read everything that Doisi de Velasco says it is obvious that the acompaniment may be strummed but you can combine the two.

again, both are much later

You seem to have an exraordinary narrow pedantic approach to most things which seems to reflect the environment in which you work rather than what players really did or do in practice.

[perhaps] I'd better ignore that

Lex