In his fourth
Rule Fosco indicates that notes like these should be played as single notes ---

Fourthly Particular care must  be taken when playing  those numbers which
are placed after an alfabeto letter.  These must be played singly; that is
to say you must pluck neither less nor more strings than those which are
shown.  In this way the true  effect of the ornamental notes  will be felt
and the parts will follow clearly one  after the other which is what I
intend.

The strict application of Foscarini's fourth rule leads to new questions. In many places we first have a chord (for example A major = letter I), then comes a single 3 on the second line of the tab (the note d') and then the strumming continues while there is nothing in the tab. The most obvious solution is to return to the original chord, but it is unclear. If the original chord should be strummed in full again, what about the single note? As an example may serve the 'Fulias con parti variate' on p.34. On the first line there is an A major. On the third beat of the 'bar' the 4 of the chord (the d' with figure '3' on the second course) is introduced (yes, Foscarini does that often), and the first next downstroke has nothing. We all would play a full A chord there, but it seems reasonable to include the ornamental d' (as a 4-3) in a full strum as well. And be tolerant with regard to the Fourth Rule.

This really excludes the idea that all the passing notes should always be accomapnied the chords even if this is possible.

Not always, but in certain situations.

By the way, a situation which is very similar to the ex 5 from my article (Lute 47) can be found halfway the fourth line of Foscarini's p. 32. All strummed, and probably including all courses.

I see no good reason

Well you wouldn't of course. Once you have made up your XXXX you are not willing to consider XXXXX XXXXX.

[X's are censored]

This is a very obscure source and there are different ways of interpreting it. I wouldn't myself regard it as good scholarly practice to jump to conclusions about anything in it.

Then don't

One other point on a different subject. In the examples in Alex Dean's dissertation chords G, H and M are regularly used and these are all played with a barre.

I will have to repeat that I have never intended to say that barre's did not exist. But it seems they were avoided in the _early_ stage, when the guitar and its stringing were emerging.

Moreover all of the songs are in keys which have no key signature or one flat so that some of the chords are not much use any. The songs are not necessarily intended to be performed at written pitch. The whole point of Amat's tables etc. is to enable the player to transpose to a pitch that suites the singer. This would involve the other chords.

The table is of the sort of pedantry which we often find in tutors.

Lex