     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 3 September, 2010, 11:59

   There seems to me to be one obvious flaw in this advice......in order
   to play an open 4th course you would need to release the barre or shift
   it to a half barre as well removing the 3rd fingure from the 5th course
   and the 4th finger from the fourth course.
   What sort of evidence is there for this sort of discriminatory play
   anyway?
   Monica
   >   What you need to do is bear in mind is my comment earlier about not
   >   rigidly expecting to always play all 5 courses every time you strum
   and
   >   then do this: at G strum all 5, at the 3 again strum the G chord 5
   but
   >   with the accente on the 5th course (just maybe lightly brushing
   some of
   >   the higher courses of the chord - if at all), then at 0 (on 4th)
   lift
   >   the 3rd finger from the 5th course and the 4th from the 4th course
   and
   >   brush upwards, then on the 2 put the 3rd finger down on the 2nd
   fret on
   >   the 4th course and brush down from the 4th course.  I believe this
   sort
   >   of discriminatory play was generally expected and becomes, dare I
   say
   >   it, second nature.
   >
   >   Regarding what Corbetta has to say: you often make the point that
   there
   >   was not general stanardisation and that each source should be
   examined
   >   individually without automatically assuming one sources
   observations
   >   necessarily applies to another. And isn't it interesting that
   Corbetta
   >   felt the need to say only strike a single string in this particular
   >   book - indicating that it was known for a short strum/brush to be
   >   executed instead.
   >
   >    The point about discriminatory play is that not every strum/brush
   >   carries the same weight - it's more subtle than that - one adjust
   the
   >   stress according to the melodic and harmonic phrasing and the pulse
   of
   >   the music. Indeed, in some cases it may be that almost all that is
   >   heard is the single note (especially if it is in the treble) and
   I'd
   >   very much go for a mixture in which sometimes the accompanying
   harmony
   >   is heard (especially when the melody can be easily executed and
   >   emphasised on the top course) or where the melody predominates
   alone.
   >   So in your B chord example, yes I do strike the 1 and 3 alone but,
   note
   >   that it is quite possible to play the B chord with fret 1 on the
   5th
   >   course (finger 2nd course with 2nd finger and 4th course with third
   and
   >   5th with first....). if one feels so inclined.
   >
   >   In short, I believe the strummin/brushing possibilities are more
   >   flexible and serve to enhance  the music of this splendid
   repertoire
   >   than I think you do - but maybe I can convert you in due course?
   >
   >   as ever,
   >
   >   Martyn

   Chord
   >   N on
   >   line 4 as well.
   >   I think the whole piece is meant to be in mixed style.   What
   Corbetta
   >   says
   >   in 1639 is very relevant here...
   >   Note also that when there are single numbers placed below the
   stroke
   >   marks, these  are all intended to be played on the first course
   [canto]
   >   only. And they are played like this so that it is easier and so
   that it
   >   is not necessary to make any changes to accommodate different
   >   fingerings in order to play a chord/ letter.  In this way it seems
   >   me to create a better and more delicate effect.
   >   In this instance he is referring to single notes played on the 1st
   >   course between chords - because the music is all in alfabeto but it
   >   applies more generally.
   >   You wouldn't repeat the chord against every passing note in any
   other
   >   circumstances.   What is the point of doing it here.   There is a
   clear
   >   melodic line - it creates a better and more delicate effect as
   Corbetta
   >   says.
   >   MOnica
   >   ----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson"
   >   <[1][5]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Hall"
   >   >   <[3][10][14]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
   >   >   Cc: "Vihuelalist" <[4][11][15]vihu...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >   >   Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:17 AM
   >   >   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance
   >   >   >
   >   >   >
   >   >   >   Dear Monica,
   >   >   >
   >   >   >   I'm really not sure you're right when you say below  'And
   while
   >   we
   >   >   are
   >   >   >   on the subject please note that you can't strum a single
   note -
   >   >   that is
   >   >   >   a contradicition in terms.   They may put a strum mark
   under a
   >   >   single
   >   >   >   note but it is still a single note.'
   >   >   >
   >   >   >    In many cases I think the expectation is that one strums
   at
   >   least
   >   >   part
   >   >   >   of the chord and so keeps up the underlying harmony EVEN
   THOUGH
   <[5][12][16]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
> [...]
   >   >   >
   >   >   >   > Of course you can add whatever you like. The question is,
   >   >   however,
   >   >   >   who did
   >   >   >   > what. And when. The basis of early alfabeto, as it has
   come
   >   to us
   >   >   in
   >   >   >   songs
   >   >   >   > and dances from >1600 - 1620, is predominantly very
   >   stereotype.
   >   >   >   It is what happened to be published.
   >   >   >   This is to
   >   >   >   > say that [probably] alfabeto and cifras were [at least]
   >   >   originally
   >   >   >   used to
   >   >   >   > give a hand for remembering the chords to your tune. This
   was
   >   >   most
   >   >   >   likely
   >   >   >   > also its function in the printed villanelle repertoire
   from
   >   >   Italy.
   >   >   >   Feel
   >   >   >   > free to speculate about fantastic harmonic experiments,
   but
   >   it
   >   >   would
   >   >   >   be
   >   >   >   > helpful to know the sources. We should indeed use our
   >   >   imagination,
   >   >   >   but how
   >   >   >   > far should that go?
   >   >   >   It would be interesting to know your sources.   The only
   >   printed
   >   >   guitar
   >   >   >   book with dances to have survived from before 1620 is
   >   Montesardo,
   >   >   >   although there are some manuscripts.  How many of these
   have
   >   you
   >   >   seen?
   >   >   >   Nobody is speculating about fantastic harmonic experiments.
   >   Just
   >   >   >   suggesting that there are ways of getting round some of the
   >   more
   >   >   >   obvious problems of combining a strummed accompaniement
   with a
   >   bass
   >   >   >   line.
   >   >   >   The one source which I have to hand is Sanseverino's
   songbook
   >   from
   >   >   1616
   >   >   >   - which I doubt whether you have seen or Alex Dean.   Most
   of
   >   the
   >   >   songs
   >   >   >   in it are part songs and at least Sanseverino's (and he was
   >   >   >   guitarist) way of dealing with a 4-3 suspension seems
   >   intentional
   >   >   and
   >   >   >   works in practice.
   >   >   >   > I may bring to mind my 'dissonance' article (also in The
   Lute
   [26][30]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
   [27][31]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
   >   >