This has been a subject of much discussion in the Lute Society committee especially as regards lutes made in Pakistan and they have been liaising with the Early Music Shop to try and resolve some of the issues. I wouldn't buy and instrument without having an opportunity to try it!

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
To: "Chris Despopoulos" <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Luca Manassero" <l...@manassero.net>; "vihuela" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 11:40 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Pakistani Baroque Guitar?

Could be Vietnamese rather than Pakistani. Last June Jelma Almersfoot gave a link to somewhere here in Britain selling these instruments but the link is now broken.

I contacted the company and several phone calls and eleven emails followed. I got the impression that the company (mainly selling other instruments like recorders) just had a couple of prototype Baroque guitars (and possibly not even fully set up). The person from the company seemed extraordinarily keen for me to see the instrument - with the option of returning it: but so keen, I was reluctant to go ahead.

Without going into detail, I didn't feel entirely confident about any aspect of the exchanges with the company.

It would be really interesting to actually try one. If they exist beyond a few prototypes, they may be really good value...or they may not, of course.

Stuart