   From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
   To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>
   Cc: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thu, January 20, 2011 3:51:30 PM
   Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Baroque guitar, where to start?
   Well - it is a serious mis-nomer to call the re-entrant tuning
   "Spanish".
   The Spanish would turn in their graves.
   What dear old Sanz says is
   In stringing there is variety, because in Rome musicians string the
   guitar only with thin strings, without a bourdon on either the fourth
   or fifth course.  In Spain the opposite is the  case since some use two
   bourdons on the fourth course and another two on the fifth and at
   least, as is usual, one on each course.
   In other words in Spain stringing with octaves on the 4th and 5th
   course is the norm.  It is in Italy, and other places that the
   re-entrant tuning  is more common.  Amat and Ribayaz also describe the
   tuning with octaves on the 4th and 5th courses and Guerau also implies
   that this is the method suitable for his music.  Santiago de Murcia
   keeps his own counsel on the matter.
   Added to which Sanz doesn't actually say that the re-entrant tuning
   must be used for his music or the skies will fall on you.
   So if you want to, I would say feel free to use octave stringing even
   if you want to play Sanz.  But it is not difficult to change the
   stringing on your instrument and it has no bearing on how it is
   constructed or fretted so you could try different methods as you wish.
   Hope you are not thoroughly confused by now.
   Monica
   ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Despopoulos"
   <[1]despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>