They've been around in Russia too. There are two original 19th century 5-string bandurkas in the St-Petersburg collection; shallow-bodied, fairly small in size (the one on your link looks like a re-construction to me). By the way, I've never heard about 5-course bandurkas ... Also, I'm not sure they are in any way related (i.e. music wise) to the guitar tradition.

Alexander