----- Original Message ----- From: "Eugene C. Braig IV" <brai...@osu.edu>
To: "'Vihuelalist'" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:45 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Baroque guitar, where to start?

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On
Behalf Of Chris Despopoulos
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:48 AM
To: Harlan Glotzer; Monica Hall
Cc: Vihuelalist

   My personal hypothesis is that the 6-string guitar would not have
developed without the benefit of bordones. Indeed, the 6-course guitar (double-strung) seems to have a short life in the period, and gives way
   to single courses very quickly.  I beg forgiveness and correction if
   I'm wrong on that.  In my opinion, there's no logical reason to have a
   fully re-entrant 6-course guitar.  You end up repeating a note on one
   course or the other.

[Eugene C. Braig IV] Indeed, at least relatively speaking.  However, the
6-course instrument was largely a quirk of Spanish-speaking places.  The
rest of Europe seems to have gone to five single strings first (using the
low octave at d and A, and probably often simply leaving their 5-course
guitars single strung), then later adding the sixth at E. A fine example of
5-string guitar music and on of the earliest known concerti for guitar is
Lhoyer's, published in Germany in the very early 19th c.

Best,
Eugene

That's very interesting. Does Lloyer actually specify that his music is for a single strung 5-course guitar?