Well - there are parasites... and parasites... and you are clearly of the benign and useful sort...

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Despopoulos" <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com> To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; "Nelson, Jocelyn" <nels...@ecu.edu>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:50 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Virgil, Vergil, & the usefulness of etymology or bourdon details

  Well, if you were familiar with the work of Lynn Margulis, you would
  understand that I don't disparage the status of the parasite...
  There's a convincing argument that parasites were key to the evolution
  of complex cells, and consequently most of what we experience in life
  (re-entrant tuning included).  But I am really thankful for this list,
  and for the work y'all do.
  cud