   From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>
   Cc: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Sat, April 16, 2011 1:55:20 PM
   Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] With/Without Bordones
   On 16/04/2011 16:56, Chris Despopoulos wrote:
   >    I've recorded a few pieces now with a bordon on the D course --
   Suite
   >    by Roncalli, Paracumbe, and Folias by Sanz.  These are compared to
   >    similar recordings I did without the bordon.  Oddly enough, the
   earth
   >    did not crack open and swallow my guitar, flaming toads did not
   fall
   >    from the sky, and gravity as we know it still holds sway.
   >    I'm inclined to view the results along the lines of speaking a
   language
   >    with an accent...  Perhaps the emPHAsis is placed on differENT
   >    syllABles, but the import is generally the same, and the ability
   >    move the listener rests entirely with the speaker regardless of
   his or
   >    her accent.  I've found that the bordon reveals some aspects of a
   piece
   >    I may not have noticed otherwise, but nothing earth-shattering.  I
   may
   >    try to record a few other pieces with a bordon just to be
   thorough.
   >    (And I suppose I should try this exercise with bordones on two
   >    courses...)  For my own pleasure I want to get back to fully
   re-entrant
   >    tuning, but that's just a personal and possibly temporal
   preference.
   >    If you're interested, you can hear the results at:
   >    [1][1]http://cudspan.net/baroque/
   >    Cheers                cud
   >
   >    --
   Chris
   You certainly play with a lot of fire! I think the bordon on the D
   course does make quite a difference - a darker sound maybe, or more
   depth. And, of course you now have extra notes below the third course.
   How do you get that effect on the letter A (chord of G) in the first
   bar
   of the Roncalli Prelude?
   Stuart.