     From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Composition of short songs in early 17th
     century Italy - was Marini - was Grenerin
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Tuesday, 26 April, 2011, 11:23

   >   Incidentally, I'm not suggesting bowed bass for the songs if the
     theorbo is present - only if the guitar is used without the theorbo.
     And if the guitar and theorbo were both present then the theorbo need
     only play the bass line - a mode which is documented. Indeed to avoid
     too much plucking I would certainly favour a single line plucked bass
     if the guitar was present
   It seems you prefer ensemble performance with a separate bass, if a
   guitar would be involved. There is a wealth of information from pre
   1600 to c 1650 time testifying of singing to the guitar. And where can
   we read (see) about singing to the guitar + bowed bass or guitar +
   theorbo? (Please note that I don't say 'never' or 'impossible'.)
   As I understand from reading what others have said about the use of
   bowed string in basso continuo, for example Borgir, O'Dette + Ashworth,
   Sayce, I have the impression that they have not found much either,
   regarding combinations with the guitar. It seems bowed bass was mainly
   used in certain other genres.
   best, Lex