     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Composition of short songs in early 17th
     century Italy - was Marini - was Grenerin
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 25 April, 2011, 15:40

   >   Re the second half of M's Il Verno - I think you're wrong and are
   >   imposing a retrospective modern judgement on an earlier style.
   Meanwhile -  happy to say that I have come up with the perfect solution
   for
   me at least.
   On F you play iib7
   On G you play V7/4 i.e. the F and the C in the voice part are the the
   dominant 7th combined with the suspended 4th.   Both the 7th and the
   4th are
   prepared in the previous chord and resolve correctly at the cadence.
   Not being a continuo player these solutions are not immediatly obvious
   to me
   and whether the resulting harmony is 20th century or 17th century I
   don't
   know but this way you also retain the hemiola effect in the
   accomapniment.
   O happy day - the sun is shining.
   Rgds
   Monica