     From: wikla <wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Baroque guitar culture and habits?
     To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 11 May, 2011, 22:10

   Dear "flat back lutenists",
   I just read:
   >> I did :-) And I don't understand your edition.
   > Perhaps you need to go back to school and learn some more
   counterpoint.
   Here we go again! Dear baroque guitarists, why cannot you be friends
   supporting and adding up each others' brilliant ideas - as we lutenists
   do
   (or are we really?) - instead of fighting of every 7th and its
   resolution,
   and every borduna/ocave in stringing? Is this actually a phenomenon of
   (modern) "classical" guitar culture brought to b-guitar world, too? I
   still
   remember my old guitarring times, when I was very "Yepesian" and was
   fighting against the "Segovians", who were fighting against us.
   Something
   similiar here?
   To me we "round back lutenists" are much more liberal (well, at least
   relatively, compared to b-guitarists) in accepting different ways of
   making
   our music and stringing our instruments, etc. What could be the
   explanation? Is the 5 course guitar really so critical a vehicle, or
   does
   the Segovian - not Segovian (or Sor-Guiliani?) contradiction affect
   still
   the guitarists converted from modern guitar to baroque guitar?
   Positively,
   Arto
   PS I suppose the 5 course guitar was actually an extremely free and
   wild
   instrument - used "as is" and "as wished" here and there by good and
   bad
   players. I would recommend anything goes. Don't be too clever, play and
   strum interestingly... I guess that is most "authentic"... ;-)