That image was actually in reference to the supporters/fans/disciples of
Carulli vs. the supporters/fans/disciples of Molino in Paris (i.e., the
"Carullists" and "Molinists").  It didn't necessarily have to do with nail
use (I don't know if either expressed preferences for nails).  Molino's
technique was considered a bit radical in his day.

Best,
Eugene