Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:45 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was: Return to earlier question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}

  Hello everyone-
  I hope I'm going about this the right way, by just responding in the
  thread rather than going back to individual messages from the last 24
  hours.

  Thanks very much to all who took the time to listen to recordings I've
  posted. For those who may have missed that message, the link is:
  [1]http://www.budroach.com/baroque_guitar.html?r=20111217024548

  What I was hoping to garner was a sense of whether or not the simple
  alfabeto strumming is considered to be a sufficient accompaniment for
  songs from the 1620's, and the general opinion seems to be in the
  affirmative. On this issue, Monica and I seem to be in agreement, but
  others have introduced suggestions that, in my view, would partly
  diminish my goal with this project, which is to recreate what a singer
  from the period would have done.

  Martyn's suggestion to follow the bass line in certain passages would,
  I agree, be musically effective, but would also depart from a "pure"
  alfabeto accompaniment. Of course, the odd 4-3 suspension is also a
  version of that same departure, and I often do this, but I'm not
  convinced that the block harmony of the guitar is the best vehicle for
  switching bar to bar from a bass line role to block-ish harmonic
  underpinning. The evidence for this can be found in Grandi's third
  volume itself. Although titled "Cantade et arie", there are 23 strophic
  songs, and only one cantata at the end. Alfabeto is used for every
  strophic song, but not the cantata, which incorporates the odd measure
  of melodic material in the bass line. The role of the bass in this
  piece is clearly different from in the songs, which makes it less
  suitable for accompaniment by a lone guitar.

  At the risk of tossing too many ideas into the mix, this also touches
  on the notion of combining the alfabeto with the printed bass line. I
  am intrigued by Alexander Dean's argument that the harmonic dissonance
  that would be created (specifically at cadential points) by this
  arrangement helped to formulate the evolution of later 17th-century
  harmonic practice. However, it again is outside my specific goal of
  presenting these songs as a self-accompanied singer.

  And, finally, to perhaps drive everyone crazy with a topic that has
  been discussed so much in recent threads, I would like to bring out
  into the open what Lex has brought up privately-  the use of bourdons
  in this repertoire. (I can almost hear your groans of despair!)  From
  what I have read, both from sources and from opinions posted on this
  site, it is uncertain that one single stringing option was embraced by
  an entire region for an extended period of time (for my purposes, the
  third decade of the 17th century). Since the case can be made for a
  number of stringing options, I have chosen the one that sounds best to
  my ear, which is a boudon on the fourth course only. The fuller sound
  that results from a bourdon on the fifth course is very appealing in
  the abstract, but I find it distracting that with every downward stroke
  there is an implied bass line from that pesky but useful fifth course!
  Yet for some reason a bourdon on the fourth course isn't nearly as
  intrusive, giving the benefits of a fuller tone without the harmonic
  implications that I don't believe the composer (in this case Grandi)
  intended.

  So those are my three cents. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
  Since I have been receiving the messages from the listserve I have been
  struck by the passion you all bring to these subjects, and am thrilled
  to be a part of the discussion!  And to read it all while listening to
  Lex's beautiful playing on his Canta Venetia recording is a great way
  to spend an early Saturday afternoon.

  Bud