I can competently contribute to this topic.
   1. Email is fundamentally a social phenomenon.  That means lots
      of different people are involved.  Give up on uniform compliance
      to any protocol.  Even machines have a hard time doing that.
   2. In general, most people stack discussions with the most recent
      reply on top.  That's probably more laziness than a conscious
   decision.
   3. Things get hard to follow when people reply top-down
      and bottom-up in the same thread.  Maybe a good rule of thumb
      would be to follow the lead of the first replier?  But given
      item 1 above, don't hold your breath...  You just have to
      deal with it.
   4. Sometimes replying inline is much easier, and much more
   appropriate.
      It helps to say that's what you're doing up front.  Also, try to
      identify your inline statements clearly.
   5. It's a good idea to trim the replies after a certain point.  Some
      mail clients do that automatically.  Personally, I tend to forget
      to trim replies.  Apologies.
   6. We're all trying our best to communicate, foibles notwithstanding.
   7. About the [VIHUELA] in the subject...  Are you doing that manually?
      Or is that put in there by the list server?  If the latter, there's
      nothing to do about it.  For me, I get hundreds of emails a day, and
      this label is a good way to sort out these most intriguing messages.
      If you label the messages manually, I thank you and hope you
   continue.
   cud