Dear Stewart

   I agree with almost everything you write (especially about RD's
   Musicall Banquet!) - I noticed it after sending and wondered who, if
   any, would spot it first...... But I can't claim is what a deliberate
   error.

   Caccini doesn't say one has to only perform his songs to the theorbo -
   but rather that it is the best accompanying instrument for the voice
   (particularly the tenor). And I do agree that the composer would have
   written his music to be performed by a wide variety of instruments.

   However the question I was originally asked was whether Caccini would
   have sang to the theorbo since Striggio had reported him singing to the
   lute. The answer is yes.

   The use of compound figures has been discussed before I recall. One
   must bear in mind that the theorbo isn't always the large instrument
   requiring both top courses the octave down so higher notes are more
   practicable than might suppose. I suspect an instrument in nominal A or
   G with just the first course an octave down was much more common
   throughout the 17th century than is the practice nowadays. I have such
   an instrument (fingered string length 76cm with double fingerboard
   courses) and find it a real joy to play this instrument when
   accompanying such things as English continuo songs by Lanier, Lawes and
   the like and contemporary French songs by Lambert and LeCamus.

   regards

   Martyn