On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:17:42 -0800 (PST), Chris Despopoulos wrote
> I just found this -- a thesis by Natasha Frances Miles submitted
> to the   University of Birmingham.  Time permitting, I intend to
> give it a   read.  I can't imagine the guitar didn't enjoy certain burlesque
>    qualities from time to time, and I can't imagine the young
> upstarts in   court would have been able to resist...  Calls for
> order, sweetness,   and dignity notwithstanding.  This paper might
> touch on that.   The Baroque Guitar as an Accompaniment Instrument
> for Song, Dance and Theatre
> http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/1600/1/Miles11MPhil.pdf
>    cud

Gosh - just from the abstract:

 The five-course ‘baroque’ guitar was regularly employed in the
 accompaniment of song and dance, and did so predominantly in the
 rasgueado style, a strummed practice unique to the instrument.
 Contemporary critics condemned rasgueado as crude and unrefined, and
 the guitar incited further scorn for its regular use in accompanying
 the ill-reputed dances of the lower classes.

Happy reading,

 Ralf Mattes