   From: Valery SAUVAGE <sauvag...@orange.fr>
   To: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:39 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Frets
     Hello,
     I have a baroque guitar dated 1760 with gut frets, and a romantic one
     (early romantic) dated 1795-1800 with bone-ebony frets. So I guess
   when
     going from 5 course to 6 strings the change was made also for frets.
     closer to 1800 thanto  the middle of the century in my opinion.
     my 2 cts...
     Valery
       > Message du 06/11/13 14:39
       > De : "WALSH STUART"
       > A : "Monica Hall" , "Vihuelalist"
       > Copie `a :
       > Objet : [VIHUELA] Re: Frets
       >
       > On 06/11/2013 11:28, Monica Hall wrote:
       > > Dear Collective Wisdom,,
       > >

       > > When did fixed, rather than tied on frets become the norm on
   the
       > > guitar?
       > >

       > > Monica
       >
       > Obviously, some time in the 18th century. The middle? The photo
   of
       James
       > Tyler's "late eighteenth-century guitar: signed 'John Preston'"
   in
       The