Cc: "'Vihuelalist'" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:35 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Matteis

  If I understand him right, Jackson doesn't suggest that these
  dissonances were _never_ doubled in (solo) accompaniment to the solo
  voice. To me the examples he gives were a reason to reconsider present
  practices.

  And indeed the example under discussion is from a solo piece. However,
  even if 3/4 clashes are quite common with some composers, it feels
  uncomfortable that this particular 3-4-3 cadence d#' - e' - d#' ( - e')
  seems never to appear with the open e' included in his book (if I am
  right). Neither in the continuo examples, nor in the solo's.

  And as a reply to Monica's last post: also I think that the open e'
  strings in these examples (Dean p. 263-4) are not clearly intended to
  ring on. I would not play it like that.

  Best wishes, Lex