> Start in zoom mode.
>
> Have some option to ignore waypoint layers and zoom to track (center
> and zoom level). This would make
>
> viking template.viking waypoints.gpx track.gpx
>
> show me the track, which is IMHO what's wanted, since one has
> waypoints for all sorts of things, but usually you want to see the
> latest track.

I've made my first set of Auto View (Zoom) improvements. Please see:

http://github.com/rnorris/viking/tree/AutoZoom

Here on opening GPX files it zooms out to the full layer extent*

Options have been added to the Layer's menus to zoom to view the layer /
individual track / all waypoints.

NB if in the current zoom level, it can cover the view - then it does not
attempt to zoom in to find the 'best' zoom level.

Possible improvements can be:

. Set the view upon getting info from a GPS.
       - I'm not quite sure ATM, how to feedback the TrackWaypoint layer
created from the babel / acquire thread stage.
       - Possibly make this behaviour optional, but I don't see why one would
*not* want to see the data just acquired!
. If this feature is deemed really useful, add an icon in toolbar for layer
auto view,  [maybe GTK_STOCK_ZOOM_FIT]
. Find best fit zoom mode (i.e. view may zoom in as well).

*I don't think viking should guess whether tracks or waypoints are more
important, and in the case above it would center on the track in a zoom level
that encompasses that track - since that is the last one processed.

HTH.

Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving isn't for you.