I'm not really clear on this myself, but I would suggest that a good way
forward is to try to grasp things and spiff up the comments/docs.

There are several things out there:

  WMS    : arbitrary areas and scales
  WMS-T  : above, *usage* constrained to a subset
  TMS    : really is tiles with specific 2^-k type alignment/size

I think the OSM tiles are in 'google spherical mercator', which is
certainly supported by proj (which viking doesn't seem to use), and is
basically a mercator projection that assumes a spherical earth.

http://docs.openlayers.org/library/spherical_mercator.html

So I would ask: where is the code that turns lat/lon into spherical
mercator coordinates to then bin them into tile indexes?