On 09/11/12 11:06, Greg Troxel wrote:

> As I understand it, the terms of service for google do not permit it to
> be used with viking (directly, and they don't permit downloading and
> saving bits, as I understand it).

Thanks for the quick reply Greg. I did read somewhere that Google has
severe restrictions on the use of their maps but the Google map is the
only accurate on-line map that I can find.

> The notion that OSM's map is 15 years old is odd, as the project is only
> about 6 years old.  It could be that OSM contains data from your local
> government

I'm sure that's true. The Local Government office were still handing out
old maps to tourists two years ago. They must have exhausted their
supply of old maps and now they have a stock of new maps but they're not
as complete as the Google map.

(or the US census bureau), and that data is 15 years old, but
> was added to OSM more recently.  You could edit OSM to make your town up
> to date (without copying from proprietary maps, of course).  I've done
> that in my town, including entering trails, so that OSM is now the best
> map available.

That looked like a complicated task as well but I might have another
look at it.

> As for easting and northing: viking can use "web mercator", which isn't
> really mercator, but is what google and other webmaps (including osm)
> use for tiles.  It can also use UTM, which is what USGS topo maps tend
> to be registered in on WMS servers.  The package 'proj' can translate.

I installed proj4 but I couldn't relate what I wanted to do with the
application's instructions. Perhaps proj and proj4 are not one and the same?

> Do you know the datum and projection of your local map?

No, but suppose I had a screen grab of the Google map, how would I proceed?

By the way, the Bird's Eye map looks to be about the same vintage as the
Open Street map.

--
Regards,
Phil