Phil <phil_...@bigpond.com> writes:

> On 09/11/12 11:06, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> As I understand it, the terms of service for google do not permit it to
>> be used with viking (directly, and they don't permit downloading and
>> saving bits, as I understand it).
>
> Thanks for the quick reply Greg. I did read somewhere that Google has
> severe restrictions on the use of their maps but the Google map is the
> only accurate on-line map that I can find.

There is perhaps an implication there, which I don't really follow.  I
would suggest that if you want to use google maps that you read their
TOS.  I think you'll find that you can look at their web pages and use
their javascript API to have their maps in your web page, and that's it
- no derivative works, no offline caching.   So extracting images and
using them offline with viking is highly unlikely to be permitted.  Of
course, IANAL and I'm certainly not yours - which is why my advice is
merely to read the terms.

  [suggestion of fixing up OSM in local area]

It's not really that hard, especially to get started.  See
www.openstreetmap.org for getting-started info, and there may be a
~local group I'll leave it at that since it's off-topic here.

>> As for easting and northing: viking can use "web mercator", which isn't
>> really mercator, but is what google and other webmaps (including osm)
>> use for tiles.  It can also use UTM, which is what USGS topo maps tend
>> to be registered in on WMS servers.  The package 'proj' can translate.
>
> I installed proj4 but I couldn't relate what I wanted to do with the
> application's instructions. Perhaps proj and proj4 are not one and the same?

They are the same thing, and the names vary (version 4 of proj....)
  http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/

>> Do you know the datum and projection of your local map?
>
> No, but suppose I had a screen grab of the Google map, how would I proceed?

Sorry, I'm not going to help you use proprietary maps in violation of
their TOS (or really, volunteer to help people use proprietary maps at
all).

But in general, if you or someone wants to use a paper map (in a proper
manner), you'll need to understand about datums and projections; there
is no easy answer.

Note that almost all online maps (and imagery) availables as tiles use
the same coordinate system and tiling scheme.

Here are some URLs which may be useful:

http://troybrant.net/blog/2010/01/mkmapview-and-zoom-levels-a-visual-guide/

http://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov/Application/presentation/PrinterFriendly/warp/warp.html

http://labs.metacarta.com/rectifier/

> By the way, the Bird's Eye map looks to be about the same vintage as the
> Open Street map.

You haven't said where you are, but in the US a lot of map data
originates from the government (state highway departments, etc.), so
many map datasets have similarities, even if they have not copied from
each other, because of the common origin.

From referring to the government as plural, I'd guess you are in the UK
or a Commonwealth country, and I'm not as familiar with map data
origins.  Those countries (except Canada) tend to have a Crown Copyright
approach rather than a government-data-is-public-domain approach, from
what I've observed.

I hope this helps.