An update:

  I am confused about the netbsd NAN workaround patch.  It was in my git
  tree and thus in my tarball :-) I'll carry this in pkgsrc; please
  disregard, at least for now.

  If --enable-gtk-doc is not passed, gmake dist builds a defective
  distfile without the help/ directory.  Arguably --enable-gtk-doc
  should default to true if prereqs are there, and gmake dist should
  error out if it can't make the distfile right.

  So I passed --enable-gtk-doc...

  Even with that, my generated tarballs don't have doc and help.  I
  don't understand how the if in Makefile.am is tied to what's in
  config.status.  I would think you'd need AC_SUBST and then
  VIKING_DOC=@VIKING_DOC@.

  On the plus side, gmake distcheck somehow works.  I don't get this,
  because the pkgsrc build fails looking for ../help/....

  So I commented out the conditional.  But it didn't help with ../help/

  I confirmed that the help dir is in the 1.3.2.1 tarball.

When you do 'make dist', does that include what's in 'help'?