> That's fine. I package a lot of things, and sometimes I find that what
> is actually released has non-obvious issues compared to what's in the
> repo. But because viking uses autoconf/automake, and me typing make
> dist should get pretty much what you get, there's no real issue.
>
> I did build and test from git. This was uneventful. My notes:
>
> I noticed that left-click to zoom left the map point under the cursor
> still under the cursor instead of moving it to the middle. Arguably
> more intuitive, but surprising after learning the old way, so should be
> in NEWS.

Yes this will be in the NEWS and release summary on the Wiki as it's an obivous
UI change.

> The NetBSD nan patch is integrated; thanks again (I'm sure I sent this
> in a long time ago :-).

Not sure when ( almost before my time! )

> Needs NEWS.
>
> make distcheck fails because it doesn't carry the CPPFLAGS from the
> invocation of configure. (Not sure if that's legimately a bug, and I
> don't expect any of you to fix it, but thought I'd mention it.)

Interesting observation - my CPPFLAGS '-O0 -g' to make debugging easier.
This is carried over into make distcheck, on a Debian Unstable AMD64
make --version
GNU make 3.86

> Building the tarball with pkgsrc gives me:
> => Bootstrap dependency digest>=20010302: found digest-20111104
> ===> Building for viking-1.4.0
> Making all in src
> gmake[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/n0/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/geography/viking/work/viking-1.4.0/src'
> gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `../help/C/viking.xml', needed by
> `documenters.h'. Stop.
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/n0/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/geography/viking/work/viking-1.4.0/src'
> gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /home/n0/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/geography/viking
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/geography/viking
>
> and there is no 'help' in the tarball.

Hmm, I think I have may have (indirectly) removed help from tarball in trying
to simplify the build dependencies.

In principal *only* a 'full' build generates the help PDF from the DocBook XML
help - this is more of a Windows build simplification/avoidance, especially
since the help Makefile relies on '../gnome-doc-utils.make' which may not be
available - how to do conditional 'includes' in a Makefile anyone?).

Unfortunately I now see that some of the 'src' depends on the XML if you have
'xsltproc' available on your system, as then documenters.h is generated by
processing the xml file.

Personally I find automake Makefile.am a horrid interwoven web of implicit
Macros in an obscure language I don't use anywhere else - so it's hard to know
what's right!

I'd like to put the XML help in the source generation, but not actually use it
in a build.... but how (given the Makefile has an include statement) ?

My brain hurts...