Today I uploaded a preview source code copy of Viking which contains the
ability to generate maps using the Mapnik C++ library [1]

https://github.com/rnorris/viking/compare/MapnikRenderingLayer

I have successfully created maps using the current OSM Carto[2]  and OSM
Bright[3] stylesheets.

I invite any feedback/queries about this change which will then be included
into the git head in anticipation of a formal 1.6 release in due course
(perhaps beginning of March).

Note that this means building Viking now uses a C++ compiler and Mapnik
dependencies by default (although it's usage can disabled via configure
parameters)

So far I have only tested this under Debian Sid - hopefully it should work with
other distributions.
ATM Building dependencies for Windows is too complicated so this functionality
will not included for the time being.

[1] http://mapnik.org
[2] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto
[3] https://github.com/mapbox/osm-bright