Wow, that's very cool.

It would be really nice if the mapnik dependency could somehow be
additional rather than either/or.  From a packaging viewpoint, I'd like
to see a way to have

  base viking
  viking-mapnik

but perhaps what's unwarranted as it's not clear that mapnik is that
heavy.

Thinking about caching, it would seem that it might make sense to have
viking fetch tiles from a local mapnik server, but I guess you can
already do that with the way viking is now, and this is about having it
generate tiles on the fly without having the server part of the mapnik
stack set up.
And maybe if there is only one user, caching doesn't really that help
that much.

How do you find the render speed, and are these tiles cached like the
ones that are fetched?