Charles Campbell wrote:

> William S Fulton wrote:
>
> > run: gvim .
> > on Windows at bottom it will say, eg: "C:\" Illegal file name
> > on Solaris and Linux at the bottom it will say, eg: . is a directory
> >
> > The Unix message is less confusing. Can this for Windows versions as
> > it still occurs in vim7.0f? Same message appears when doing
> > :new .
>
> I haven't found any way to avoid these messages with netrw, so it sounds
> like an issue for Bram M.

This is a valid message.  At the moment it's given Vim doesn't know yet
(for sure) that some autocommand will kick in to handle it.

You also get the message on Unix if you do ":e dir/".

--
BRIDGEKEEPER: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
ARTHUR:       What do you mean?  An African or European swallow?