Hi Bram,

On 4/29/06, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This happens not just for functions, but variables etc. also. For
> variables, I can work around this by using has_key(g:, varname)
> instead of exists('g:'.varname).

Right, extra text after the function name was ignored.  It's easy to
change, see the patch below.

Thanks for the patch.

Would there be scripts that depended on the text being ignored?  Hmm, if
someone has been using exists('function()') then that worked, but won't
work after the patch.

I think I better not change this just before a release.

I would think that a major release of vim is a good time to "fix" such
things which are possibly not backwards compatible, since most users are
expecting significant changes anyways. Also I never saw that you could
use exists('function()') anywhere in the docs (it always returns 0 when
I try). Its supposed to be exists('*function'), right? Why accomodate
undocumented behavior, when there is a good documented alternative?

I am afraid that if this gets into vim7 release, then this behavior will
be promoted to a "feature"...

Thanks,
Srinath