Srinath Avadhanula wrote:

> On 4/29/06, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > This happens not just for functions, but variables etc. also. For
> > > variables, I can work around this by using has_key(g:, varname)
> > > instead of exists('g:'.varname).
> >
> > Right, extra text after the function name was ignored.  It's easy to
> > change, see the patch below.
> >
> Thanks for the patch.
>
> > Would there be scripts that depended on the text being ignored?  Hmm, if
> > someone has been using exists('function()') then that worked, but won't
> > work after the patch.
> >
> > I think I better not change this just before a release.
>
> I would think that a major release of vim is a good time to "fix" such
> things which are possibly not backwards compatible, since most users are
> expecting significant changes anyways. Also I never saw that you could
> use exists('function()') anywhere in the docs (it always returns 0 when
> I try). Its supposed to be exists('*function'), right? Why accomodate
> undocumented behavior, when there is a good documented alternative?
>
> I am afraid that if this gets into vim7 release, then this behavior will
> be promoted to a "feature"...

The problem of changing something like this is that all scripts that are
included in the release need to be checked for effects.  And there are
lots of scripts now.  I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, the netrw
plugin stops working properly.

--
ARTHUR: CHARGE!
   [The mighty ARMY charges.  Thundering noise of feet.  Clatter of coconuts.