On 2006-07-10, Sean Reifschneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 07:38:02AM +0000, Yakov Lerner wrote:

> >package-maintiners and expect them to fine-tune binary packages
> >to your inquiries/needs/wishes. Unless you are package-maintiner
>
> Having an expert tune the packages for the general cases is probably going
> to work much better on average than having the layman try to tune it
> themselves.  A good package maintainer can make it so that a package fits
> nearly everyone's needs.  I have submitted a suggestion to the Fedora
> packager that they extend the "vim-x11" package to include not only "gvim",
> but also "xvim", leaving the stock "vim" package being compiled with
> --with-x=no.  This way you get the fairly minimal package in "vim-minimal",
> and users who want vim on a server without X installed are happy.  And
> users who want enhanced X capabilties can install "vim-x11" and get
> enhanced functionality by calling (or aliasing) gvim or xvim.

Since you mention aliasing, I think the simplest solution to this
would be:

    alias vim="gvim -v"

That will give you a terminal-mode vim with all the X features that
were compiled into your gvim.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Wireless Division