On 8/13/06, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
Edward had it on Windows. From ":help encoding-values" I gather that
"Chinese" and "prc" are alias to cp936 / euc-cn. Maybe gbk and gb18030
can be added to the "family"?

I'm using Debian Etch. But I had a look at the Windoze system and
found that cp936 is supported well in both Linux and Windoze, however,
GBK is not supported by any of them.

euc-cn is an alias of GB2312, which is only a subset of GBK. So we
should not put them together. GB18030 is not exactly the same with GBK
but 99% of them is the same, the remaining different part is cared by
nobody in the world, and is very very complicated and very very
difficult to support. Moreover, very few X servers support this
encoding. So I suggest to alias GB18030 to cp936, too, simply and
wrongly. :-)

After having discussed about the charset, I think it's right time to
do some work on the malformed characters in the toolbar tooltips. I
made a patch and solved the problem yesterday (or at least it was
seemed to be solved). Can anybody review my changes and give some
suggestions? Thanks.