On 8/12/06, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> But gvim doesn't support an encoding named 'gbk'. If the system
> encoding is 'gbk', the menu and toolbar get malformed.

What do you mean by "system encoding"?  How does Vim see this?

I meant the $LANG variable.

GBK is right an alias of cp936, so it is proper to add this alias
entry into mbyte.c. But the situation with GB18030 was much more
complicated and the current version of gvim is not able to handle it
correctly. About GB18030 there is another long and not-so-funny but
ridiculous story. If you like, I can tell you the detailed GOSSIP
later...

Because over 99% part of GB18030 and GBK is the same, and the
remaining part is too difficult to handle, I want to set GB18030 as
another alias of cp936. Do you think it is OK?

[...]

You may have uncovered a bug that went unnoticed so far.  Please try to
discover what causes this problem.  I can't guess why the last character
is messed up, looks strange.

In fact this bug was noticed years before. But most of the Chinese
people decided to tolerate this situation. Anyway, I'm going to work
on~

[...]

Regards,

Edward L. Fox