scott wrote:
On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 01:57 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
In (g)vim 7.0.90, when I try to invoke the help, let's say

    :help :help

the program hangs; and when I finally hit Ctrl-C I get:

E426: tag not found: :[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Similarly for <F1>

E426: tag not found: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Running ":helptags" in the doc/ subdirectories of all 'rtp' directories
doesn't help.

Best regards,
Tony.

Cleaned my ~/.vim and $VIM/vimfiles from a few obsolete and dubious files, compiled 7.0.091 (with make reconfig), it works again (as src/vim). "More fear than harm". Next thing is "make install".

Best regards,
Tony.

tony -- all this weirdness with your help -- as dependant as
we are on whatever is insalled for 'ctags', i'd say you might
spend some time looking at whatever shows up for 'which ctags'
with a thought towards maybe fixing something there

scott

IIUC it's the version of ctags that came with SuSE 9.3

rpm -qa |grep ctags
ctags-2004.11.15-3

which -a ctags
/usr/bin/ctags

ls -l `which ctags`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 128852 Mar 19 2005 /usr/bin/ctags

ctags --version
Exuberant Ctags 5.5.4, Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Darren Hiebert
  Compiled: Mar 19 2005, 19:18:40
  Addresses: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
  Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex

The wierdness appeared after installing the manpageview plugin from vim-online, and disappeared after removing it as well as versions of the netrw and vimball plugins which had become older than the default ones due to a runtime rsync. Don't know what _any_ of those had to do with not finding the help; and (I checked) my doc/tags files were OK -- anyway, regenerating them all using (internal) helptags changed nothing.

Best regards,
Tony.