A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

The wierdness appeared after installing the manpageview plugin from vim-online, and disappeared after removing it as well as versions of the netrw and vimball plugins which had become older than the default ones due to a runtime rsync. Don't know what _any_ of those had to do with not finding the help; and (I checked) my doc/tags files were OK -- anyway, regenerating them all using (internal) helptags changed nothing.

Well, as I've mentioned, I have no problem with the :help command, and I certainly use manpageview all the time. Manpageview doesn't have any autocmds, so its not being invoked behind your back. The latest one defines
five commands:  Man [HORV]Man and a map for K.

Regards,
Chip Campbell