Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Tony Mechelynck wrote:

I fell by chance on http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets , the official list of character set names and aliases allowable on the Internet.

Only names (with their aliases) are listed there, with bibliographical links to various sources.

Maybe that URI should be mentioned for info somewhere near ":help encoding-values", what do you think?

This is a list for the internet.  It can be useful for Vim too
sometimes.  But we can also use other sources and be a bit more flexible
with aliases.  I think the link isn't very useful for Vim users.  We can
only say that it's a list of encoding names, not what to do with them.

Sure. A copy of the whole long list would be out of place in the Vim help, and I notice Vim is already "a bit more flexible with aliases", e.g. ucs-2 and utf8 aren't in the list (which lists them as "ISO-10646-UCS-2" with prefix, and "UTF-8", with dash, respectively). I still thought the (one-line) link would be a valuable resource for some Vim users, even if in many cases they would have to follow the bibliographic links. Maybe I should have started this thread in vim-multibyte rather than vim-dev.

Best regards,
Tony.