On Tue 21-Nov-06 7:38pm -0600, Liu Yubao wrote:

>> pad> pv 168
>> patching file src/memline.c
>> Assertion failed: hunk, file ../patch-2.5.9-src/patch.c, line 339
>>
>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
>> Please contact the application's support team for more information.

> I suggest you use CVS or SVN.

I actually run both.  The shell command 'cv & sv' write
their results to separate output files and open (or remote
to) a vim session in separate tabs.  This is handy if one of
them is down for a while and a patch doesn't work -
generally that happens only when patches include runtime
files which are automatically updated from the vim FTP site.

I like the email updates.  A keystroke from my email client
remotes a tab to vim with the patch almost ready to go (I
have to verify changes at times, with it executes:

    :%s#runtime/#//gc

But this lets my read Bram's notes in Gvim with syntax
highlighting of the diff.  You don't get that in CVS
(although you do get a very nice summary of Bram's notes in
the SVN log (for any sequential set of patches you want -
very nice).

The purpose of my email was simply warn Windows uses that
the GnuWin32 patch program chokes on UNIX patches to DOS
source code.

The solution is trivial.  My alias to patch the next version
looks like this:

    pv 169

Inside the script is:

    u2d 7.0.169 & patch -b -p 0 -i 7.0.169

where u2d translates UNIX to DOS "in place" and does no harm
to DOS files.

--
Best regards,
Bill