Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
[...]
Unfortunately, IMHO, inline folding didn't get enough votes during vim 7.0's development, and Bram is uncomfortable with the idea of inline folding because it, naturally enough, suppresses information (Vince's patch typically folds all lines but the current one). At least, that's how I understand the state of things.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Doesn't linewise folding also suppress information? Yet Vim has had that for quite some time. It is true that it doesn't make the folds disappear completely; rather, each outer closed fold is replaced by one line. That wouldn't work for inline folding; but maybe it could use the 'foldcolumn' or something to draw attention to the fact that something has been hidden.

And BTW, the Hidden highlight group (guibg=bg guifg=bg) also "suppresses" whatever uses it, yet IIUC it is used a lot in helpfiles. I'm not sure about netrw, but the older Explorer plugin also used it to hide its sort key.

Best regards,
Tony.