Nikolai Weibull wrote:
On 1/7/07, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also attached is a patch to disable guioptions="t" (tearoff menus) when
> compiled with FEAT_GUI_GNOME, also for desktop consistency.

Hey, wait! Even gvim for Windows has tearoff menus, which is a great feature, available in no other Windows programs AFAIK. Why disable it in Gnome versions on the pretext that other Gnome programs don't have it? If you don't like the availability of tearoff menus, include ":set guioptions-=t" in your vimrc, but don't deprive me of this feature. And don't tell me that I can just compile "with GTK but without Gnome": I want a Gnome gvim for other reasons, such as
the ability to save its session when the KDE window manager closes.

Eh, you who want tearoff menus (perhaps the most stupid GUI design
choice ever) can include ":set guioptions+=t" in your vimrc.  Not that
I'd include 'm' in my guioptions either.  Not that I'd run the gui for
that matter.

At the moment I can. If the OP's patch makes it to the "official" distributions (Bram forbid!) it won't work anymore

This sounds to me like "I don't want it, therefore you cannot have it", a form
of totalitarianism completely out of place in Vim.

Last time I checked, we had a benevolent dictator for a ruler that has
ruled to that effect, many times in the past.

 nikolai

"Benevolent dictator" is a contradiction in terms. There used to be "enlightened despots", but even with that I have a problem: there are no safeguards to prevent an "enlightened" despot from becoming a despot plain and simple.

Removing features sounds extremely un-Vim-like to me.

Best regards,
Tony.