On 17/01/2007 15:09, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
Mike Williams wrote:
Hi,

Attached is a patch to use VC8 specific optimization options. FTR, VC8 no longer supports the /Gn processor code generation directive, and the makefile now uses link time code generation when not optimizing for space.

Enjoy.

Mike

Why the test on "!if "$(_NMAKE_VER)" == "8.00.50727.42" ? Are you sure the old behaviour will be the right thing to do with _any_ older _or_ newer version? Shouldn't we rather assume that versions 8.0 "or later" of MSVC will require the new arguments? We should provide as best as we can for future versions, to avoid, if possible, the need for constant re-patching of the makefile with every new version that Gates & Co will decide to publish.

The comparison operators can be made relative if desired. It is normal for any new VC compiler to review compiler options and update any build scripts. VC8 retired, deprecated, and added a large number of compiler/linker options. There is nothing to say future versions wont do the same. To have a build script use minimal options for an unrecognised compiler version is reasonable - as long as it reports that this is the case.

Mike
--
Do you think that you're right and I'm wrong? How naive if you do...